Steffan Harries

Plan Sealing

Got your approval for subdivision or a multiple dwelling? You will need to go through 'Plan Sealing' to get your new titles.

To finalise a subdivision or multiple dwelling development, a survey plan must be lodged with council for approval. This process is known as plan sealing.​

What is a Plan Sealing?

To complete a subdivision or multiple dwelling development, it is necessary to submit a survey plan for approval by the council. This process is called plan sealing. A sealed plan is required to establish new land titles, easements, and/or covenants. It is also needed to transfer land to the council for drainage reserves and parks. Steffan Harries can assist with all plan sealing enquiries.

A survey plan is a technical and legal document created by a qualified surveyor. It provides specific details about a property, including its dimensions and boundaries. Titles Queensland, a government agency, provides information on survey standards and requirements for plans submitted to them.

Once all conditions of the approval have been satisfied and the subdivision or development is finalized, the council grants approval for the survey plan. Approval can only be obtained if the following conditions are met:

  • All earthworks are finished.
  • Essential service infrastructure (such as water, sewer, telecommunications, and electricity) is connected.
  • All construction costs, infrastructure charges, levies, and fees are paid.
  • All development conditions, including the necessary certificates, are met.

Once your survey plan is approved by the council, it is your responsibility to register the individual lots with Titles Queensland, which is managed by the State Government.

Skip forward:

town planning permit surveyor

Frequently Asked Questions

If you’re proposing a new street, then you may get the opportunity to name it!

Your approval conditions will determine when the infrastructure charges are payable. But generally, they are payable before your plan sealing (i.e. before your new titles are issued), or before the commencement of a land use (e.g. before final building approval).

What you need to get started

Typically, the qualified surveyor responsible for creating the subdivision plan (survey plan) will submit the request to the Council on behalf of the owner. All communication regarding the request will be directed to the applicant. If other parties need to be included in the correspondence, the applicant must inform the assigned Building and Construction Coordination Officer in writing.

As part of the development approval conditions, you may be required to register certain documents with Titles Queensland, in addition to your subdivision plan. These documents may include:

  • Easements, particularly for Council-owned infrastructure, such as stormwater systems situated on private property or access easements between individual lots, as stipulated by Urban Utilities or another service provider
  • Land transfer requests.
  • Covenants related to land use and construction, such as those aimed at preserving ecologically significant areas or establishing bushfire buffer zones for the lots.

Different kinds of plans

Survey plans can come in various forms and will be required for your plan sealing application depending on the kind of approval and title you are seeking.

Standard Format Plan

A standard format plan shows the subdivision of land and defines land using a horizontal plane. It includes references to marks on the ground.

Volumetric Survey Plan

A volumetric format plan uses three-dimensional points to define lots. These points determine the height, length, and width of the lots. The lots can be situated above ground level, below ground level, or partially above and partially below ground. They are enclosed within a bounding surface, such as a cube. A volumetric format plan can be used to divide a lot or lots, as well as common property, in a standard, building, or volumetric format plan of subdivision.

Building Format Plan

A building format plan is a type of subdivision typically used for multiple dwellings or commercial developments.

In a building format plan, land is defined based on the structural elements of a building, such as floors, walls, and ceilings. The plan may also indicate common features like visitor parking spaces, carports, or shared amenities like swimming pools.

The combination of the individual lots and the common property forms the scheme land for a community titles scheme. A community titles scheme consists of at least two lots, common property, and a single body corporate.

Once the development is completed and all relevant approval conditions have been met, the council approves the building format plan.

In certain cases, a building format plan may involve the subdivision of land, requiring an application for lot reconfiguration to be submitted to the council. We recommend consulting with your planning consultant or surveyor to determine if this applies to your situation.

Community Management Statement

When a survey plan incorporates common property and involves the creation of a community title (e.g., standard format or building format plan), a Community Management Statement (CMS) is necessary. The CMS is a document that identifies the scheme land and adheres to the requirements outlined in the Body Corporate and Community Management Act 1997.

The CMS serves to describe the scheme and outline any future development plans. It includes the By-laws, an “Interest Schedule” (previously known as Lot Entitlement), and a Contribution Schedule. Additionally, it discloses and defines any service agreements related to the scheme, such as management, caretaking, letting, and other relevant arrangements.

measuring width of a property approval town planning

Frequently Asked Questions

You will need evidence to show that you have complied with all of your conditions of approval. When in doubt, give one of our town planners a call.

At Steffan Harries, we have been doing plan sealing for 15+ years. Get in touch with one of our experienced town planners today.

The only person who can prepare a survey plan is a qualified and certified Cadastral Surveyor. Steffan Harries, however, can assist you in getting some quotes!

Not until your Plan Sealing is complete. That is, unless there are conditions allowing the construction of a house (e.g. a MCU component).

What is the plan sealing process?

Although each Council has a different plan sealing process, we’ve outlined the general process below so you know what is happening when you undertake an application for plan sealing.

Firstly, you may need to prepare your application by undertaking the following:

  • Get a final set of survey plan from your registered surveyor
  • Obtaining a quote for infrastructure charges
  • Receiving a notice of account for plan sealing request fees
  • Preparing or reviewing legal documents and coordinating their execution by the council
  • Providing contact details of the relevant officer
  • Reviewing the request and offering clear instructions for any necessary amendments or actions prior to the formal plan sealing request

Once you’ve prepared all of your documentation, you can proceed to lodge a formal plan sealing request:

  1. Ensure that all the tasks outlined in the preliminary response have been completed.
  2. Gather all the necessary documents and information required for the formal plan sealing request.
  3. Contact the Council to obtain the official plan sealing request form or access it through their website.
  4. Fill out the plan sealing request form accurately and provide all the requested details.
  5. Attach any supporting documents or additional information as required by the Council.
  6. Submit the completed plan sealing request form and supporting documents to the Council by the specified method, such as in person, by mail, or through an online submission portal.

Following these steps will help you properly lodge a formal plan sealing request with the Council.

Upon receiving your approved survey plan, it is your responsibility to submit it for registration to Titles Queensland, which is managed by the State Government. You have a maximum of 6 months to lodge your plan for registration. If the plan is not lodged within this timeframe, the council approval becomes invalid. In such cases, you will need to resubmit your application to the council, including new lodgement fees and updated rates, water charges, and infrastructure charges.

Let us take care of your Plan Sealing application using our 20 years of experience!

Scroll to Top

Have an enquiry?

The best and fastest way to make an enquiry is to submit our online form here.

Still prefer to call? 

A member of our admin team will be happy to take down your details and send them to a planner for assessment. Call us on 33170042.

Please have the details of your enquiry ready.

In a hurry for advice?

Need quick advice about a prospective purchase? Get a formal Due Diligence Report within 2 business days.

Preview what you will receive here.

Need urgent advice?

Looking at purchasing a property? Unlock insights about your property’s potential!

For $800 you’ll get the following:

✅A comprehensive review of critical planning aspects
✅A written report
✅Overview of the development potential (if any)
✅High-level feedback from a planning Director

Expect your tailored advice within just 2 business days. Click here to view a sample report.